We (Academic Software BVBA, Wolfsakker 5A, 9160 Lokeren, Belgium, CBE no. 0635.738.394) are aware of the confidence you place in us. We therefore consider it our responsibility to protect your personal data. We are responsible for processing your data (personal or otherwise), in which we act in the capacity of a controller.
We respect the privacy of all users of our website and ensure that the personal details you provide to us are treated with due confidentiality. We will collect, retain, process and transfer your personal details exclusively in accordance with the applicable Belgian and European privacy laws and regulations, including but not limited to the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR), in which we apply the following principles to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal details:
- We do not collect any more information than necessary.
- We do not use your personal data for any other purposes except those which are explicitly described or set down by law.
- We will not retain your personal data any longer than necessary.
- We will only transfer personal data to other parties with a view to satisfying the objectives stated below.
This page provides information about which personal data we collect when you make use of our website and/or services, how we collect this personal data, why we collect this personal data, and additionally information about the applicable legal grounds and how we use this to improve your user experience. In addition to this, we will provide an explanation about the other parties with whom we share your personal data (if applicable), your rights and how we protect your personal data. This way, you will understand precisely how we work.
1. When do we collect your personal data?
We collect your personal data, for example, when you:
- make use of our products and/or services, visit our website, fill in the contact form on our website or contact us in any other way (e.g. by email or telephone).
- If you send us emails or other messages, we will retain these messages. Sometimes, we will ask you for personal data that is relevant to a specific situation. This enables us to process your questions and respond to your requests.
2. Which personal data do we collect and process?
We can collect and process the following personal data:
- First name and surname
- Address details
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Data concerning the school with which you are affiliated (e.g. name and registration number)
- Teacher card number
- Payment details
To enable the website to function optimally, automatically generated information about your use of the website is collected and processed. The optimisation of our services consists, among others, of technical adjustments that can be used to satisfactorily display pages and for the purpose of website security.
The information that is collected consists of the type of device (computer, mobile telephone, tablet) that you use, your IP address (the number of your device, which allows us to recognise it), the type of browser, the operating system you use, and the pages that you visit on our website and the items you view. We also retain the host name that corresponds to the IP address, login session data and chosen values.
3. For which purposes and on what legal grounds is your personal data used?
Your personal data will be used for the following purposes, and on the following legal grounds:
- The processing of this data is necessary for the execution of an agreement to which you are a party.
- To facilitate use of the website;
- To send you invoices for the use of our products and services;
- To make products and services available to you.
- The processing of your personal data is necessary to protect our legal interests, should these weigh more heavily than your right to privacy:
- To send you information with regard to similar to our products and services and to respond to your questions and/or complaints;
- To compile anonymised statistical data;
- To secure, adjust and improve our website.
- You have granted us permission for the use or processing of personal data. This is necessary in order to satisfy a statutory obligation imposed on us, such as:
- To give third parties information about you, if you have granted your consent for this, or in connection with an obligation to comply with laws and/or regulations.
You can revoke your permission, or make changes to the consent you have granted, at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Transfer of personal data to third parties
If you provide your personal data to us in connection with our products and services, this personal data will be shared exclusively with third parties at our order and to the benefit of our company (or its objectives) or to facilitate the delivery of your product or the operation of your service. Your name and address details, for example, may be shared with a supplier in order to send you our products, and your name, address details, email address and data concerning your school may be shared with the supplier of the software so that it can validate your entitlement to use this software. These suppliers have confirmed to us that this personal data will be used exclusively for the strictly necessary execution of the agreement and will not be used for marketing purposes. These suppliers have confirmed to us that they will comply with the General Data Protection Regulation and will not use this data for other purposes.
We can provide your data to third parties provided that you have explicitly granted your consent to having this data shared with a specific third party, and provided that this is a requirement in connection with your use of our services and/or provided that this data cannot be traced to you personally (e.g. automatically generated information, with the exception of your IP address).
This will enable us to engage this third party for the purpose of outsourcing work. These third parties will process your personal data exclusively at the order of and for the benefit of our company (and its objectives). If data is processed by a third party on our behalf, we will only engage processors that are able to provide sufficient guarantees with regard to the application of technical and organisational measures so that the protection of your rights can be guaranteed. In certain incidental cases, information may be shared internally, if this has beneficial results for the provision of our services to the customer. Our employees are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your personal data.
Lastly, we can provide your personal data to third parties in connection with an obligation to comply with laws and/or regulations, if we are required to do so in connection with a court case and/or in the event that we deem this necessary with a view to protecting our own rights.
5. How long do we retain your personal data?
Your personal data is retained by us with due care, and never longer than necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained. The longest possible retention term is five (5) years after termination of the contract or the last time your personal data was processed. Unless we are obliged to retain your data for longer on the grounds of statutory regulations we apply a statutory retention term of 7-10 years.
6. In which manner is your personal data protected?
We have taken adequate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal data against loss or any form of illegal processing. We ensure that your personal data is retained in an adequately secured environment to which only the necessary persons have access. Your personal data is, for example, stored on our own secure servers or those of a third party.
For more information about how your data is secured, we kindly ask that you contact us at email@example.com.
8. Your rights
You have the following rights in connection with your personal data:
- The right to consult and edit data: you are entitled to consult your personal data. If we acknowledge that we are obliged to provide you your personal data, we will provide this to you free of charge. Before we provide you your personal data, we may ask you to provide proof of your identity and sufficient information about your interaction with us, so that we will be able to retrieve your personal data. If the data we retain about you is incorrect, you can ask us to correct all inaccuracies with regard to your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of data: you are entitled to object to the automatic or non-automatic processing of your personal data by us if we no longer have the right to use this, to demand that we delete it if we have retained it too long, or to demand that, in certain circumstances, specific restrictions are imposed on the processing of your data. Specifically, you are entitled to object to direct marketing (e.g. emails), free of charge and with no obligation to provide justification for this.
- The right to impose restrictions on the processing of data: you are entitled to demand that restrictions are placed on the processing of your personal data (e.g. while the accuracy of your personal data is being checked).
- The right to have data deleted: you are entitled to have all data associated with you deleted (with the exception of certain cases, e.g. to ensure proof of a transaction or due to statutory requirements).
- The right to have personal data transferred: under certain conditions, you will have the right to receive the personal data that you have provided us in a customary, structured and machine-readable format in order to transfer your personal data to the third party of your choice.
- The right to revoke your consent: if your personal data is processed on the basis of your consent, you are entitled to revoke your consent at any time.
The above rights can only be exercised in a reasonable manner in accordance with the applicable laws. Should you wish to exercise these rights, we kindly ask that you contact us via the contact details below. Principally speaking, you can exercise your rights free of charge.
We will endeavour to respond to your request within four (4) weeks.
10. Questions and feedback
11. Where can I lodge a complaint?
If you have a complaint about the use of your personal data and are unable to reach an agreement with us in regard of this, you can also submit your complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will also have the right, at all times, to submit a complaint to the Data Protection Authority:
Data Protection Authority
1000 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 274 48 00
Fax: +32 (0)2 274 48 35